King's and Queen's Fencing Champions
Hosted by Shire of Quintavia - Bolton, MA
Event date: December 8th, 2018
Event Last Modified: December 4th, 2018
The overall structure of the day will consist of the perennial favorite of round robin pools followed by a 16 person double elimination tournament, followed by a set of finals with rotating weapons. For tournament conventions and details for each part, read on!
General Conventions --
* This tournament is heavy rapier default. Light rapier may not be used. C&T may not be used.
* All double kills are to be refought until a clear victor is found.
* Two handed swords may not be used in conjunction with secondary items.
* Barring safety issues, there will be no recentering. If you are on the ropes or in a corner, we expect that you wanted to be there or have been placed there by your opponent and you will need to deal with that.
* Holds will not be called if you reach the ropes. If you cross them, tangle in them, or otherwise create a hazard, a hold will be called and you will be placed on the rope for the bout to continue.
* If you are on the ropes and continually creating a safety issue or causing repeated holds by stepping out, marshals can be expected to take action based on that.
Round Robin Pools--
* Ideally (space permitting) we'll have 8 pools, so the top two fighters from each pool can advance. In this portion of the tournament:
* Bring your best form.
* Fights are one and done.
* If there are ties to determine who advances, we'll initially resolve them by who beat who. In other words, if two fencers are tied for second but one beat the other in the pool, that fencer will advance. If that doesn't work due to some strange edge-case math, we'll have fightoffs to advance.
The sweet 16 will be a standard double elimination tournament. In this portion of the tournament:
Those fighters who remain undefeated should display their prowess with single rapier. Should you take a loss, you may fight with whatever you see fit.
Each pairing will be determined by the best of three passes.
At this point:
The bouts fought among the final four combatants may be fought with whatever forms the combatants wish.
When an undefeated fighter is paired against a fighter with a single loss, the latter needs two wins - that is, they must win two matches, each best two of three passes - to advance. The undefeated fighter needs to win a single best two of three match.
In the finals, losses are forgiven, and both final combatants start off on even footing. It will be the best three of five bouts, with rotating non-repeating call and response weapons forms:
A coin toss will determine which fencer calls their form for the initial bout first.
Forms that can be chosen by combatants consist of Single Rapier, Rapier and Dagger, Case of Rapier, Rapier and Rigid Parry,Rapier and Non-Rigid Parry, and Two-handed Sword.
Forms need not match.
Double kills are refought for a clean result. Please parry.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with Master Donovan Shinnock.
Other event offerings:
There will be an area in the cafeteria for displaying A&S projects, however it will not be manned.
We will also have a classroom for children and family to gather, however parents or caregivers must remain with the children.
The dayboard will feature a variety of items including gluten free hand pies. We are going to try to keep it open late so fencers participating in the tourney will get a chance to graze a bit.
---SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY---
Site opens at 9 am
Morning court at 10 am
Tournament directly following morning court
Dayboard will open at 11 am
Dayboard will close around 3 pm
Court will start promptly at 4 pm
Site closes at 6 pm
We are still looking for a few volunteers, please sign up here-
Site Opens: 9:00 am
Site Closes: 6:00 pm
Nashoba Regional High School
12 Green Road
Bolton, MA 01740
GPS - 12 Green Rd, Bolton, MA 01740
The event is being held at the Nashoba Regional High School, which is located along route 117, 2.7 miles west of route 495. Coming from the east, it will be on the right, across the street from the post office.
There is parking on all sides of the school, please be mindful of your mobility needs and if you are able, park further from the entrance to allow those who less able to park closer.
Adult (18+): $20
Adult Member Discount -$5
Youth (17 and under) $5
Child (5 and under) $0
PayPal registration is now closed.
Last day to put a pre-reg in the mail is Monday, December 3rd.
A delicious dayboard is included in the site fee.
There is no feast.
The site is DRY and no smoking is allowed on the property.
Make Checks Payable to: SCA MA, Inc. - Shire of Quintavia
MKA Stephanie Schanda
Send Reservations to:
Shire of Quintavia
c/o David Harvill
100 Wilson St.