King's and Queen's Arts and Sciences Championship
Hosted by Shire of Barren Sands - Woodstown, NJ
Event date: February 6th, 2016
Event Last Modified: January 27th, 2016
The championship will be judged as a body of work. Entrants shall enter a minimum of two items with a maximum of five. No item should have won a previous King’s or Queen’s Championship. Each item should have been made within three years of the competition. The items can be from a single discipline or from multiple disciplines. The winner of the competition is the Queen’s Champion of Arts and Science. The King determines the Kings Champion of Arts and Science.
Entrants will have the following:
• Approx. 3 ft of table space.
• Access to electrical as requested in pre-reg.
• Floor space as requested in pre-reg.
• Table cloths for table cover are being supplied. If you wish a second covering please bring.
• All entries must be pre-registered to ensure appropriate judges are selected.
• Absentee entries will not be accepted.
• All written entries (research papers, poetry, songs, etc.) must be sent to both current Champions no later than one month before the competition for judging.
• Each entrant is responsible for that entry and making sure that it is placed on the correct table.
Judging will be done as a single team, drawing from various areas of expertise. Experts will be on hand to answer specific questions. Entrants may not judge in the competition.
Entries shall be judged on their own merit and not compared to any entries by other entrants.
If judges have a question about an entry, it is their prerogative to send for the entrant to ask questions.
The entrant will be scored based on the entirety of the works entered. Items will not be individually scored. There will be alternate score sheets for performance, written works, brewing/cooking and research papers. The body of work will be averaged from the alternate forms.
Performing entries are limited to 15 minutes, including introduction and will be performed in front of the current Champions and the attending Royalty.
There will be two rounds:
First Round: Static judging closed to both entrants and the populace.
Second Round: The top five entries will be announced and will be judged face to face. Approximately 15 minutes will be allotted for each of the top five entrants.
All levels of entrants are encouraged, however the competition is designed to acknowledge the best artisans in the Kingdom. Therefore we encourage our Laurels and Maunches of the Kingdom to enter.
As this is a competition, the focus will be on the judging of the entries. Artisans and populace will not be allowed to be present with their displays during the first round of judging. During the second round, there will be approximately 15 minutes of face to face judging for the top five entrants.
There will also be a separate display area set up for those who would like to display their work but not enter the competition.
Documentation can be done in French. We ask that any documentation written in French have a single page English abstract if possible. We will have translation assistance for the judges on the day of the competition.
• For entrants requiring cooking / kitchen access: it will be limited, but available. Please contact Lady Genevieve Bertholet (MKA Pam Saunders) at email@example.com for further information and to have a spot reserved.
• Research Papers and other Written Entries to be received no later than January 2nd, 2016. Please email the entries with the subject line A&S CHAMPIONS WRITTEN ENTRY to both:
o Lady Agatha Wanderer at firstname.lastname@example.org
o Lady Naomi bat Avraham at email@example.com
o Competition Registration Information
• Please email the Registration form or the information to Lady Naomi bat Avraham at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line A&S CHAMPIONS REGISTRATION
Click this link for the entrance form
• Entrants MUST register in by February 1st, 2016 in order to coordinate judges
• Those interested in Judging please contact Lady Agatha Wanderer at the email above with the subject line A & S CHAMPIONSHIP JUDGING
Schedule of Event (Subject to minor changes)
Site opens at 10 for populace.
Artisans contact the AS Champions or autocrat for other instructions.
Judging to begin at 11 AM.
First Round of Judging from 11 AM to 1 PM
Second Round 1:30 to 2:30
The menu for the day board is as follows:
Oyle Soppes (Mutton in Onion-Ale Broth)
Caboches in Potage (Cabbage Chowder)
Brodo de Cicere Rosci (Chickpea Soup) (Vegetarian)
Breads (white, wheat, rye)
Butters (plain, honey, herb)
Pumpes (Pork Meatballs with Currants, prepared as tarts)
Tartes of Frute in Lente (Fish Tarts)
Ramequins of Fleshe (Beef Tarts)
Frumenty (Wheat Berry Porridge)
Frumenty (Barley Porridge) (Vegetarian)
Compost (Mixed Pickles)
Bryndons (Glazed Lozenges/Dried Fruit Pastries)
Tardpolene (Custard Tarts with Fruit)
Emeles (Almond Cakes)
Mulled Apple Cider
Site Opens: 10 AM
Site Closes: 6 PM
$10 for adult
$8 for ages 14 and under
$35 family capp
Ages 5 and under free.
Add $5 to above if not a member
Make Checks Payable to: SCA NJ Inc, Shire of Barren Sands
Erhart von Stuttgart
908-309-7532 (no calls after 9pm)
Send Reservations to:
Lady Genevieve Bertholet
9 E Faunce Landing Road
Absecon NJ 08201
Other Contact Information:
Childrens activities will be run by
Lady Alexis of Woods End
Site is dry but brewing entries into the competition are allowed.