Safiya and Viking Baby at Daily Life Schola 2011
|Awards & Offices|
Chronicler of Carolingia, Seneschale of Carolingia, Gold Key
Lady Safiya Shirazi joined the SCA in 1994. She became inactive from 1997 - 1999 but became more active in 2000. She is a cook and a student of history and culture, but her interests are not limited to the Islamic world. She is apprenticed to Master Luke Knowlton.
Safiya is a native of the (clearly superior) city of Shiraz. She frequently wonders why she left.
Offices & Positions
- Gold Key, Barony of Carolingia, 2003 - 2006 (approx.)
- Deputy Exchequer, Barony of Carolingia, 2009 - 12/2011
- Chronicler, Barony of Carolingia, 10/2009 - 11/2011
- Seneschale, Barony of Carolingia, 11/2011 - present
- Dayboard Cook, Carolingia Novice Schola, fall 2005 (?)
- Dayboard Cook, King and Queen's Rapier Championships, January 2007
- Kitchen Staff, Crossroads at Canterbury, Fall 2007
- Dayboard Cook, Coronation of Darius and Alethea, Fall 2008
- Kitchen staff, Tall Tales and War Stories, Fall 2008
- Dayboard Cook, Barony of Carolingia 40th Anniversary, April 30, 2011
- Head Cook, Queen's Tea/Royalty Social, Pennsic 40 (August 8, 2011)
- Autocrat, A Day in the Court of Harun al-Rashid (Nov. 12, 2011)
- Bread baker, Carnival in Venice, February 18, 2012)
- Gate, May Day 2012 (April 21, 2012)
- Head Cook, Carolingia Baronial Investiture (May 12, 2012)
- Bread baker and Assistant Cook, A Day in the Caliph's Court (Nov. 10, 2012)
- Class Co-Ordinator, A Day in the Caliph's Court (Nov. 10, 2012)
Projects & Publications
Editor: The Carolingian Minuscule, 2009 - Decmber 2011
Proprietor: www.fearlesskitchen.com, a recipe website. Of particular interest to SCAdians would be  where her redactions of historical recipes may be found.
- Classes taught:
Cookery Bawarid (Great Northeastern War 2010, 2011; Carolingia Cooking Schola 2010;Daily Life Schola 2011)
Middle Eastern Sweets (Carolingia Cooking Schola 2010; Market Day at Birka 2011, Bergental Novice Schola 2012)
Abbasid Cuisine (Market Day at Birka 2012, A Day in the Caliph's Court 2012)
Tannur Cookery (co-taught with Baron Valerian of Somerset at Daily Life Schola 2010 and 2011; taught solo at Great Northeastern War 2011)
Italian Renaissance Cookery (Festa di Michaelangelo, 2009)
German Cookery (Great Northeastern War 2012)
3 Romantic Stories from the Shahnameh (Market Day at Birka 2011, A Day in the Court of Harun al-Rashid)
Medieval Persian Poetry (Great Northeastern War 2012)
Hafez of Shiraz (A Day in the Caliph's Court 2012)
History and Culture
The Abbasids (A Day in the Court of Harun al-Rashid, 2011)
The Role of Women in the Islamic Middle East (A Day in the Court of Harun al-Rashid 2011; Market Day at Birka 2012)
Middle Eastern Persona (Bergental Novice Schola 2012)
Safiya has set herself the task of learning five new crafts before May 2012. The first of these has been embroidery, to which she has become addicted. She has also begun to learn horn carving, knitting, lucet and chip carving.
Currently serving as Baronial Artisan in the Barony of Carolingia, term to expire eventually.
- Safiya has completed her A&S 50 challenge.