Marcele de Montsegur
Or, a bend fusilly between six crosses of Toulouse gules.
|Awards & Offices|
| ,, Golden Lyre|
Maîtresse Marcele de Montsegur was inducted into the Order of the Laurel in January 2004. She is also a companion of the Order of the Maunche and has a number of Seamstress-to-the-Crown acknowledgments. Her service to the arts is usually behind the scenes, with regular judging of research papers for A&S competitions and consistent and copious online instruction for those who seek her input. Her passion for the arts centers around 14th-century material culture with a focus on the clothing, accessories, and martial soft kit worn by Western Europeans. She occasionally gets enthused for 15th-century stuff too. Marcele's first two apprentices have been elevated to the Order of the Laurel: Angharad Rhos ferch Rhain and Angus Pembridge (fomerly Kerr). She currently has a teacher/student relationship with Lady Efa Pengrych of the Barony of Bhakail.
- Childrens' Activities Coordinator, 12th Night, January 1999, Barony of Bhakail
- Cook's assistant and server at high table, East Kingdom State Dinner for Darius and Roxane 1; Pennsic 31 (2002)
- Cook's assistant and server at high table, 1st and 2nd Coronations of Andreas and Isabella, 9/30/2000 and 9/28/2002 respectively
- Cook's assistant to Lady Olga Kafskaia and Mistress Juliana Von Altenfeld at multiple feasts held in the Barony of Bhakail
- Event staff/setup helper, 12th Night, January 2003, Shire of Hartshorn-dale
Projects & Publications
Newest to oldest:
La cotte simple: http://www.cottesimple.com
How to Sew a Gore [into a Slit of Fabric]: Tournaments Illuminated, Issue 174, 2nd Quarter 2010
The Pourpoint of Charles de Blois: An adapted sewing pattern for chest sizes 37-50 (available on lulu.com)
On Writing a Research Paper or Report for SCA Competition: East Kingdom Arts & Sciences website (http://www.eastkingdom.org/artsci/)
The Journal of the Armour Research Society (Editor); first volume, 2005
Marcele won the Janet Arnold Award in 2011 to study an historical extant garment. She's writing the resulting paper now, and will be presenting it at the International Medieval Congress at Leeds in July 2012.
Visit the La cotte simple FaceBook page for photos of Marcele's projects.
Marcele has an entry in the EK Laurel Mugshot Gallery.
Houshold affiliations: member of Haus Von Halstern; friend to Pembridge; friend to Gryphonhaven.