Vert (Azure), on a mullet of twelve points argent, a roundel engrailed Vert (Azure), all within a bordure engrailed Or [as an augmentation: in Canton, vert, an imperial eagle argent]
|Awards & Offices|
- Most commonly known as D.Sebastian, "D" is known for contributions from his web design (including the SCA Demo .com), and his desire to present an authentic appearance on the field.
- Passions include: heavy-list fighting, word-smithing for scrolls and speeches, court and field heralding, rapier combat, writing and singing songs, making art for the covers of local newsletters, creating garb and projects of all types, assisting others meet their goals, and of course making websites.
Initially and sometimes still a 4th Century Roman; D.Sebastian can be found in the trappings of a 6th Cent Late Roman (Byzantine), 13th Cent Trebizonian-Byzantine, 14th Cent Bohemian, a Herodotus (5th Cent BC) Scythian, and 16th Cent Landsknecht.
6th Cent Late Roman (Byzantine)
(Short) A Byzantine Roman of the 6th Century serving the court of Constantinople. A "Cataphract" (or heavily armoured horseman), he is presently attached to the Army of Syria on its way to Egypt to reclaim Alexandria as part of Rome.
His turn-on's include red wine, walks along the Bosphorus, and cavalry charges that crush the enemy's flanks. His turn-offs include schisms and the plague.
(Long) Diomedes of Sebastia (known to his companions as D. Sebastian) shifted in his saddle, looked past the helmeted Strategos and his mighty glaive, and scanned the horizon beyond. The enemy's cavalry was rallying, soon they would charge. That meant only one thing...
The Byzantine Strategos turned and smiled a genuinely gleeful grin at his Tagama Army. With that grin, all, including D. Sebastian, understood that they would soon meet the enemy in a counter-charge. D. Sebastian's officer leaned over quietly and smiling, issued a single order: "Don't get dead".
He joined the rest of the grinning bucellarii with his own smile. "Don't get dead" he mused, "words to live by."
Diomedes is the sixth son from an arranged marriage between Thracian and Anatolian merchant families, who were then sent to set up a trading post in the City of Sebastia. As there were plenty of sons to run the local business, D was raised for another purpose that would help grow the families burgeoning Trade Empire.
At a young age, he found himself attending private schools and being tutored in the arts of courtesy. When the time came, Dio was sent to Constantinople to live with the family of his Uncle Cyrus. In Byzantium, D's days consisted of getting to know the city and understanding its body politic. When he was deemed ready, it was arranged for him to join the army and be stationed near the Palace. It was at this time that his role in the family business was made clear. Diomedes was to infiltrate the aristocratic circles and find favor with the bureaucrats and mid level dignitaries. His role was to rub elbows and make deals with any who could in any way add profit to the family and its many dealings.
Diomedes used his station well and often found himself in the company of people of worth and invited to parties in prominent areas of the City. Coached daily by his Uncle, he was making the right connections and finding his feet as a lobbyist. Friends in high places also arranged for him to perform the duties as a guard to the Court. But like all business dealings there are rivalries, and Diomedes actions and growing popularity was not going unnoticed. One such rivalry to the family had sway with certain Potentates in the City, as D discovered when his name appeared on orders to report as a part of a replacement company bound for Syria and to place itself under the Command of Belisarius. It was not a secret that Belasarius was moving to make war in the West.
- Since 2006, "D" and the Cataphracts of VDK have autocrated and run the Warriors of History Tournament at Pennsic.
- Aide de Camp & Webrite/Webminister (Lucan VIII and Jana V)
- Webminister (Griffyth II and Aikaterine II)
- Chief of Staff & Webright/Webminister (Andreas IV and Gabriella II)
- Captain of the Queen's Guard (Brenwen I)
- Webrite/Webminister (Andreas III and Gabriella I)
- Field Herald & Occasional Court Herald (Griffyth and Aikaterine)
- Deputy Chief Retainer & Webrite/Webminister & Standardbearer (Lucan VII and Yana IV)
- Staff Officer of the Eastern Warlord (Lucan): Legate to the Free Companies (Gaufred Kelson II)
- Stonemarche Envoy to the Barony of Blackstone Mountains, AEthelmearc (Xavier and Maria)
- Stonemarche Envoy to the Barony of Ravens Cove, Atlantia (Xavier and Maria)
- Baronial Webminister: Barony of Stonemarche
- 04/12/2008 Grant of Arms (Andreas III and Gabriella I)
- 04/12/2008 Court Baron (Andreas III and Gabriella I)
- 04/10/2010 Companion of the Silver Crescent (Konrad II and Brenwen II)
- 04/12/2008 Companion of the Tygers Combatant (Konrad I and Brenwen I)
- 08/20/2009 Companion of the Order of the Dragon's Tooth [Middle Kingdom] (EikBrandr and Runa)
- 10/26/2002 Award of Arms (Andreas II and Isabella II)
- 11/04/2006 King's Order of Excellence (Lucan VII)
- 08/20/2009 Queen's order of Courtesy (Gabriella II)
- 09/27/2008 Companion of the Troubadour (Konrad I and Brenwen I)
- 10/04/2009 Royal Augmentation of Arms (Andreas IV)
- 10/04/2009 King's Cypher (Andreas IV)
- 04/14/2007 King's Cypher (Lucan IV)
- 09/27/2008 King's Cypher (Konrad I)
- 09/27/2008 Queen's Cypher (Brenwen I)
- VDK: Ordines Lucani Cataphractae (Order of the Cataphract)
- VDK: Ordines Lucani Buccelari (Order of the Buccelari)
- Queen's Champion (Gabriella I)
- Baronial Champion (Angus Kerr - Concordia of the Snows)
- Baroness's Champion (Megan, Stonemarche)
- Stonemarche: Golden Sword AS-37
- D. Sebastian's SCA Pages contain photos, armours, his famously painted shields, garb, scribal work, speeches & songs, artwork for Kingdom and Baronial newsletters, the websites he's made, various essays and more.