Cellach Mac Faoitigh
Mistress Kay Leigh Mac Whyte as Tyger Clerk of the Signet and her husband Master Ryan Mac Whyte as Brigantia Principal Herald, at the Fall Coronation of Kenric II and Avelina II.
Photo courtesy of Baroness Cateline la Broderesse.
Sable, three quill pens in pile argent and a bordure rayonny gyronny Or and gules.
|Awards & Offices|
* East Kingdom Scribe
Kayleigh McWhyte, aka Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, aka Number 11, aka "Baroness Dude"
(Pronounced KAY-lee Mak White)
Registered as Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, OL, OP. (Alternate name Cellach Mac Faoitigh is pronounced KELL-ah Mak Fwite)
I began my journey through the SCA in 1984, when I was still very young, as an annual visitor to the Browns Road Renaissance Fair Demo in Ostgardr/An Dubhaigeainn. Each year, I would make a beeline for the hay bales to watch the fencers and fighters, and occasionally stop by the nice people under the big yellow pavillion labeled "Society for Creative Anachronism". Years passed, and I continued as a fringe player, attending a demo held at one of my colleges, Long Island University C.W. Post campus. Following graduation and a move to western PA (Stormsport area, Æthelmearc), just a couple of hours north of this thing some local friends called "Pennsic", I eventually found my way back to the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn, back to that same exact demo on Memorial Day weekend of 1998. After speaking with the Baronial Chatelaine, I joined the SCA and jumped in with both feet, learning archery at my first event as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism on June 24, 1998.
Although I spent many years on the western border of An Dubhaigeainn, my travels often took me to most of the central and northern parts of the Southern Region, as well as frequently to Dragonship Haven, and Barony Beyond the Mountain, mostly for archery events at first. Eventually I found out who to speak to about working on scrolls for the Kingdom (Duchess Katherine was the Tyger Clerk of the Signet at the time), and also around the same time, I introduced a longtime friend from college (Ryan McWhyte) to the SCA.
The rest, as they say, is history...
Scottish/English Archer, circa 1350
- Scribe (Calligraphy and Illumination)
- Archery Marshal
- Voice herald
Married to Rián_Mac_Faoitigh (Ryan McWhyte)
- House Grog August 2009 - Present
Currently Involved In:
- East Kingdom College of Scribes
- East Kingdom Stationers Guild
- Lady Heather Rose Mac Gordon (Calligraphy and Illumination, Bookbinding)
- Lady Elsa de Lyon (Calligraphy & Illumination)
Students & Teaching Opportunities
I have three formal students.
- Lady Anastasia Henrich (C&I, snail husbandry)
- Lady Raffaella Mascolo (Illumination)
- Lord Vettorio Antonello (C&I, Service)
I am frequently found traveling within a 4 hour radius of Barony Beyond the Mountain, and will be available for occasional informal lessons along my travels for the duration of 2014. After my last term as Tyger Clerk of the Signet has ended, I may be available for more teaching opportunities. I am primarily a teacher of calligraphy and illumination, having worked in many styles of C&I from Roman era to later period document style scrolls (including work in cadels).
I am also knowledgeable in how to create a document style scroll, and have access as Tyger Clerk of the Signet to the Seals of the Kingdom of the East, for use on armigerous (AoA, GoA, PoA), Cypher, Augmentation, King's Order of Excellence, Letters of Marque, and Tyger scrolls done as documents. Requests for pendant seals on scrolls are accepted, however, any person making such a request accepts the potential additional custom framing fees (shadowboxing, etc) usually incurred by most framers by the inclusion of this *optional* part of the types of scrolls mentioned above. Please note that these seals themselves (matrix or matrices) are not available for public use in an effort to prevent loss or damage; arrangements for affixing one or more of the East Kingdom seals (impressions) by the Tyger Clerk should be directed to the Tyger Clerk of the Signet at firstname.lastname@example.org (requests for the Brigantia Principal seal to be affixed on armigerous scrolls should be sent to the Brigantia Principal Herald at email@example.com).
Officer Positions Held and Event Staff
- East Kingdom Tyger Clerk of the Signet - January 2011 - Present
- Company Captain of Archers (Beyond the Mountain) - November 2006 - October 2010
- Company Captain of Archers (An Dubhaigeainn) - June 2002 - June 2005
- Archery Marshal In-Charge or Support Marshal for multiple events (2002 to Present)
- Field (Combat) Scribe for various reigns
- Voice herald for various royal courts and tournaments
Titles, Other positions, Honors, & Awards Held
- Guildmistress / Founder: Drake University for Courtly Kingdom Scribes
(D.U.C.K.S. - aka "Duck U.) - Barony of An Dubhaigeainn Scribal Guild: June 2000 - present
- East Kingdom King's A&S Champion, Kelson I (see King's and Queen's Arts and Sciences Champions)
- Champion of Archers for An Dubhaigeainn: November 2001 - November 2002