Before a day of fencing...
Per saltire vert and azure, four dragonflies argent.
|Awards & Offices|
| Court Baroness, Order of the Bronze Ring (GoA for Rapier), Order of the Evergreen (GoA for A&S), Order of the Royal Vanguard (former Kingdom champion), Award of the Dragon's Tooth, Award of the Purple Fret (AoA for Service), Order of the Willow (AoA for Arts), Order of the Cavendish Knot (AoA for Rapier), Award of Arms.|
Holds no current offices.
Hello! I am Baroness Brighid! I like to meet people, so please say hello! I moved here from the Middle Kingdom in early 2010, and have sworn my fealty to fight with the East! :)
I am a courtier, a fencer, a royal court herald (I don't do book heraldry), a costumer, an archer, a scribe, a painter, a weaver, a terrible bard, an autocrat, and I enjoy meeting new people and trying new things.
I am an Apprentice to Master Philippe de Lyon of the Middle Kingdom.
I am a Protoge of Master Vhorlin Or' Gwig of the Middle Kingdom.
My registered name, which I do not use, is Bríghid inghean Chonmhaoil. I prefer Brighid MacCumhal.
I was made a Baroness of the Middle Kingdom Court of Dag & Annelyse.
I don't really have a persona, per se. My SCA 'family' - Uadahlrich, Andreas, Lothair, and Peter - are Landskenechts, so I am the token non-Landskenecht in the group.
I like the early 16th century. I love everything about the Renaissance. I love to play the role of the Courtier, and I am very much a Royalist (which is why I enjoy being a herald is it gives the opportunity for such things)!
I tend to dress in Renaissance men's clothing for fencing, and women's clothing for court, though I do occasionally wear 16th c Turkish because it's fun and what my best friend also does. :)
Arts & Sciences
I focus primarily on 16th century clothing and I love the Renaissance quite a bit. I tend to only make what I can wear or use in practicality at an event.
My main arts, which I am happy to teach classes in should there be interest:
- Tailoring of garments in 16th Century Europe: I wear and research both Men's & Women's garments, primarily in England, Italy, Sweden, and Germany.
- Embroidery & Embellishments: primarily blackwork embroidery, stem-stitch embroidery, couching of metal embroidery, etc.
- Scribal Arts: focusing on composition and drawing, also I do calligraphy and illumination for scrolls. I prefer to do scrolls for people I know, and enjoy doing pen & ink style work that looks like 16th Century prints.
- Tablet Weaving: I used to be really involved with this, but am not as much anymore. I prefer doing Egyptian diagonals.
- Painting, Drawing, Printmaking with woodblocks, etc.
Arts I have dabbled in:
- Spinning fibers
- Courtly Dance
I won Middle Kingdom Divisional Arts & Sciences Championship in 2008 with entries for embroidery, clothing construction, and knitting (I made woolen flatcaps much like on the Mary Rose).
I am a member of the Order of the Evergreen - Grant of Arms for A&S - for costuming, scribal arts, and rapier.
In my professional life, I am an artist and an industrial designer, so I can draw and make nearly anything if I set my mind to it. I love to craft new things.
The Arte of Defense: Rapier
I am a Warder of the Company of the Bronze Ring, and I was a cadet to Warder Uadahlrich von Sassmannshausen. I am a 'retired' member of Wednesday Company because I now fight with the East Kingdom. :)
- Sorcha of Carolingia (East Kingdom)
- Andreas von Meissen (Ansteorra currently)
- Lothair Biedermann von Bremmen (Middle Kingdom)
- Saorla MacArdyle (Inactive)
Rapier-related Champions positions that I have held:
- Pennsic Rapier Champion's Team, East Kingdom: 2012 (alternate).
- Pennsic Rapier Champion's Team, Middle Kingdom: 2003-2009
- Gulf Wars Rapier Champion's Team, 2005-2006
- Middle Kingdom Rapier Champion, 2003
- South Oaken Regional Rapier Champion, Midrealm, 2003
I used to be known as the "Ringstalker" in my earlier rapier days in the Middle Kingdom as I stalked down the Iron Ring frequently, and held it four times.
It's a lot of fun! I just began doing archery in 2011. I enjoy it. :)
Offices & Positions: Current
- Marshal of Fence at Large, East Kingdom, 2012-present
- A random court herald for East Kingdom & the Barony of Carolingia
Offices & Positions: Past
Herald, Middle Kingdom:
- Royal Court Herald, for various Royalty at various Events & Wars, 2007-2010
- Barony of Fenix Herald, 2007-2009 (I am a court herald and a field herald. I am sadly a terrible book herald.)
Rapier, Middle Kingdom:
- Marshal of Fence, 1999-2010.
- Barony of Fenix Rapier Marshal, 2002-2004.
Kingdom War Command Staff, Middle Kingdom:
- General of the Rapier Army, 2009-2010.
- Kingdom XO of the Rapier Army, 2007-2009
- Kingdom Rapier Scout Commander, 2004-2007
- Kingdom Rattan Scout Commander, 2006?
- Regional Rattan Scout Commander, 2005?
- Gulf Wars Rapier General for Middle Kingdom, 2005-2007
Middle Kingdom Events that I staffed:
- Autocrat, Known World Academy of the Rapier, 2008
- Autocrat, Middle Kingdom Crown Tournament, 2008
- Autocrat, Middle Kingdom Arts & Sciences Faire, 2008
- Autocrat, South Oaken Regional Arts & Sciences Faire, 2008
- Co-Autocrat, Winter's End (Barony of Fenix, Middle Kingdom), 2009
- Marshal in Charge: Fencing, for various events hosted by the Barony of Fenix
Projects & Publications
I have classes I used to teach and have hand-outs for them, both A&S and rapier related. I don't have links to them anymore, but if I teach again I'll have them handy to pass out.
My link on the Bronze Ring website: http://www.companyofthebronzering.org/warderpages/brighid.html