Margaret Hepburn of Ardrossan
Margaret at Caid Crown Tourney 2009
Ermine a fess cotised flory on the outer edge azure. Registered August 2003 via the Outlands.
|Awards & Offices|
04/09/05 Laurel (Outlands)
William Blackfox Award
Best Special Issue A.S.41An Outlandish History Editor A special edition newsletter commemorating the history of the Kingdom of the Outlands in honor of its 20th anniversary as a Kingdom.
- Began playing in the SCA in the fall of 1988 in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
- Since then, has lived in Caid, Drachenwald, the Outlands, Caid again and now the East Kingdom.
- Married to Baron Simon Montgumery.
- Name registered July of 2001 via Drachenwald.
- Elevated to the Order of the Laurel 9 April 2005 in the Kingdom of the Outlands for costuming, research and household arts.
- Margaret's Laurel Patent The work of Ban-Fili Cailte Caitchairn of the Outlands.
Margaret was born late in the Year of Our Lord 1545 at Nunraw Abbey, near Garvald, East Lothian, Scotland. Her father, Andrew Hepburn, was a lawyer employed by the Lord Lyon King of Arms, well-known for his skill as a scribe. Her mother, Madeleine Guinefort de Joinville, whose family had long been in service to the de Guise household, came to Scotland as a sempstress in the retinue of Her Highness the Queen Consort, Marie de Guise.
Margaret was mostly raised at the Abbey as her parents followed the Court on its travels, the Abbess being a Hepburn cousin. At 12, Margaret was fostered out to the Beaton household near Brechin; Lady Beaton was the former Joanna Grisenoirs, a French-born lady in waiting to Her Highness.
After Her Highness' death in 1560, Edinburgh and its environs were no longer safe for those who were openly Catholic and Andrew sent his wife and daughter to France for a time. Margaret and her mother first travelled to Rheims, France, where Her Highness was buried. They then lived in the household of Marie de Guise's mother Antoinette de Bourbon, wife of the Duke de Guise.
While living in Joinville, Margaret's mother Madeleine attempted to arrange a marriage for her with a French cousin. Desiring that his daughter wed a Scotsman, her father stepped in and instead contracted a marriage for her with a son of the Montgumery family, Simon, who had been studying at Scots College in Paris and was serving as a member of the French King's Scots guard. Simon and Margaret wed in Paris. After the birth of their son, they both desired to once again live in Scotland and left France. They lived briefly in Bruges, where they remarrried in a Protestant service. Scotland was now a Protestant country and they wanted there to be no question of their son's legitimacy. Eventually, they returned to the east coast of Scotland, living in the Ayrshire town of Ardrossan, in the Valley of the Clyde.
Desiring a more private life, they have moved to the countryside. Redstanes House on Westermarch farm in the hills northwest of Ardrossan is also home to Kitty and Bet, two Fraser cousins of Simon's who act as nursemaid to their son and personal maid to Margaret, respectively, and to young William Montgumery, the son of Simon's second eldest brother, who has been fostered to them.
In addition to managing the household, Margaret owns several saltpans in nearby Saltcoats and sells her salt, as well as butter and cheese, in Glasgow. She uses some of the money from her business to fund her cookery books and expensive spices, as well as her secret vice - French novels.
Offices & Positions
- Minister of Arts & Sciences, Shire of Caer Adamant, currently
- Chronicler, Barony of Starkhafn, Kingdom of Caid
- Chronicler, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Herald, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Minister of Arts & Sciences, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Chronicler, Shire of Flintheath, Kingdom of Drachenwald
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Dun Or, Kingdom of Caid
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, College of Twr Cath, Barony of the Stargate, Ansteorra
(dates to be updated soon)
- Feast Steward, Dun Or Baronial Anniversary, Kingdom of Caid 10/1996
- Autocrat, Flintheath Yule, Kingdom of Drachenwald, 12/1999
- Competition Co-Ordinator, Kingdom A&S Competition, Kingdom of the Outlands, 2002
- Competition Co-Ordinator, Kingdom A&S Competition, Kingdom of the Outlands, 2003
- Feast Steward, War of the Staked Plains, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands, 10/2003
- Autocrat, Kingdom A&S Competition, Kingdom of the Outlands, 4/2005
- Feast Steward, Starkhafn Yule, Barony of Starkhafn, Kingdom of Caid 12/2008
Projects & Publications
A Scottish Betrothal Tournaments Illuminated Issue #163 Third Quarter 2007
Registered Heraldic Badges
- A marguerite proper charged on the seeds with the Roman capitals M and H conjoined azure. Registered August of 2003 via the Outlands
- A greyhound couchant regardant coward azure collared and ermined argent. Registered January of 2008 via Caid.
- A skull argent jessant de lys gules. Joint badge with Simon Montgumery. Registered March of 2009 via Caid.