Grim the Skald
Grim the Skald at Pennsic 37
Or, on a saltire cotised gules, a Norse sun cross argent
|Awards & Offices|
Grim the Skald joined the SCA in 2001, after resisting for several years. As his nickname implies, he is a Skald, a poet and storyteller. He currently resides in the Barony of Concordia of the Snows. He was elevated to the Order of the Laurel in the first reign of Konrad and Brenwen (July 2008.)
Grim is a 11th Century Icelander, born in 1035. As many Icelanders do, he has travelled, putting both his poetic skills and his sword at the service of many kings. He has settled down in Concordia of the Snows in the 30th year of his life. He has quickly come to enjoy the life and responsibilities of a court Bard, he has served the Baron of Concordia, three Kings, and three Queens of the East. He has also served Baron Angus Kerr as a herald.
He takes pride in the poetry he has written for the people of the East, which at this stage is approaching a decent sized body of work. Should you have a tale of word-fame that should be passed on, let him know, and something may develop. He has been known to do commissions.
In the past, he has served as both the King and Queen's bard of the East. At the Queen's Meadhall in AS47, he has once again been chosen by King Edward II as King's Bard of the East.
There is a person who distinctly resembles Grim the Skald who dresses in 14th Century garb. He has written a number of 14th Century Alliterative works. This person is named Matthew Grymm. For some reason he responds more readily to his last name than his first.
Matthew is married to Isabel de Bayonne.
Offices & Positions
- Snowflake Pursuivant (Concordia's Herald) from April 2006 to 2010
- Grim is presently serving as King's Bard to Gregor von Heisler IV, he formerly served King Edward Grey of Lochleven II. He has had a former term as King's Bard of Lucan von Drachenklaue VII, Gryffith FitzWilliam, and Andreas der Eisfalke III
- Herald to Baron Angus Kerr
- Queen's Bard to Brenwen the Faire II, Marguerite Ingen Lachlainn, Aikaterine FitzWilliam II
- Grim was the Concordian Division Commander of the Snowberg Army for a year, before health reasons forced him to step back from armored combat.
I have written a rather large body of poems in varying Norse styles, as well as a few other miscellaneous works. I will link it here as I add it.
- Contributor to the Eastern Edda
- Contributor to the History of the Snowberg Army
- Writer of a number of poems for Queen Marguerite
- A poem for Duchess Brenwen
- Matthew Grymm has written a number of 14th Century Poems
- Here is a page of Grim's Adaptations of Norse Poems
Grim is currently maintaining an open challenge for Rapier combat. The full details can be found here