|Southern Region Scriptorium and Heraldic Symposium
||Event date: January 18th, 2014|
|Hosted by Barony of Settmour Swamp - Morristown, NJ||Event Last Modified: January 14th, 2014|
|The Barony of Settmour Swamp, the East Kingdom College of Scribes, and the East Kingdom College of Heralds are pleased to announce a Southern Region Scriptorium and Heraldic Symposium to be held on 18 January 2014 at the Morristown Unitarian Fellowship. A full day of classes is offered to all who would seek to learn the scribal and heraldic arts, from dabbler, to beginner, to experienced students alike, but to make this happen, we will first need teachers!|
If you would like to teach, please contact one our class coordinators:
Scribal classes: Lady Lada Monguligin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Heraldry classes: Lord Yehuda ben Moshe, email@example.com, (516) 606-4152 (please leave a message, no calls after 11pm please)
Include your proposed subject and how much time you will need for your class. We are in special need of calligraphy and heraldry classes for this event, but all subjects pertaining to these arts are welcome, from classes on beginning heraldry, to classes on composing scroll texts for different personae and time periods across the Society, to illumination techniques, to classes on alternative materials scrolls (carving, stitching, etc!) to just name a few.
Teachers are encouraged to please submit a brief description of your class, any material needs or fees, time, and other details to our class coordinator no later than December 1, 2013, to allow for scheduling.
We welcome all teachers and students from across the East Kingdom and beyond to join us, and we encourage attendees to please bring a favorite scroll for a scroll display, as well as a favorite book (please do not leave books or scrolls behind!) to share with students who may appreciate the opportunity to discover additional resources for their work. We look forward to seeing many of you there, for a day solely dedicated to celebrating the scribal and heraldic arts.
Children are welcome, but no special children's activities are planned.
Current class list:
Scribal topics being offered:
- Introduction to Calligraphy & Illumination
- Using Heraldry as Scroll Decoration
- Left Handed Calligraphy
- Basic Knotwork
- Russian Calligraphy
- Document Style Scrolls 101: Layout and Seals
- Document Style Scrolls 102: Cadels and Pen-Flourished Calligraphy
- Scroll Text Adapted from Legal Documents
- Alternative Media for Scrolls: Working on Glass
- Basic Sketch and Composition for Illumination
- Unconventional Gilding
- Books, Books, Books!
- Spectroscopic Determinations of Pigments
- Calligraphy 101: Calligraphy for Non-Calligraphers
- Scribal Meet & Greet
Heraldic topics being offered:
- Being a Herald Q&A
- Healthy Projection for Heralds
- Pelican Queen of Arms Meet and Greet
- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) for Heralds
- Ermine, Stripes & Rampant Bears: Heraldic Display
- Picking & Documenting Names
- The Submissions Process & Your Role In It
- Intro to Gaelic Naming
- Conflict Checking Armory Using the Complex Search Form
- Beginning to Intermediate Court Heraldry
- Basic to Intermediate Voice Heraldry
- Intermediate Heraldic Research
- Zen Heraldry 101: "Whose Scroll Doth it be Anyway?
- Introduction to Jewish Names & Armory
- Blazonry: From Words to Picture
- Blazonry: From Picture to Words
- Using the Name Pattern Search Form
- How to Conflict Check Armory
A full schedule of classes with descriptions is available here: http://tinyurl.com/lqfys5k
Site Opens: 10:00am
Site Closes: 6:00pm
Event Website: http://www.eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.html?eid=2555
|Morristown Unitarian Fellowship|
21 Normandy Heights Rd
Morristown, NJ 07960
Take your best route to I-287.
From the North:
Take exit 37 for NJ-24 E.
After 2 mi., take exit 2A for Columbia Turnpike W toward Morristown
After 0.7 mi., turn right onto Normandy Heights Rd.
Site is 0.3 mi. on left.
Take exit 36A for Morris Ave. east.
After 0.6 mi., make a slight right onto Columbia Rd.
After 0.6 mi., turn left onto Normandy Heights Rd.
Site is 0.3 mi. on left.
|Site : Registration:|
With member discount: $15
Children under 10: FREE
A sumptuous Dayboard, prepared by Baronne Jehannine de Flandres is included with the registration.
Mailed-in reservations must be POSTMARKED by 4 January 2014
Those who preregister will be entered in a drawing for a gift basket prepared by Her Excellency Baronne Jehannine de Flandres
Feast: No feast.
Make Checks Payable to: SCA NJ Inc., Barony of Settmour Swamp
Magister Galefridus Peregrinus
(973) 214-4957 (no calls after 10pm!)
Send Reservations to:
Lady Eleanor Callaghan
c/o Tami Yaches
140 Coburn Lane
Somerset, NJ, 08873
(908) 230-8617 (no calls after 10pm!)
Online registration is available using ACCEPS at http://acceps.ansteorra.org/regit/kingdom_event_display.php?kid=15 and choose Barony of Settmour Swamp - Southern Region Scriptorium and Heraldic Symposium.
Other Contact Information:
For information about the Dayboard, contact Baronne Jehannine de Flandres at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As space allows, merchants selling material relevant to the scribal and heraldic arts are welcome -- please contact the Event Steward at email@example.com to verify whether space is available.